Monday, January 7, 2013

Gene Smith's Pastels



As you’ve probably noted by now, the Lakewood Arts Council Gallery is hosting a retrospective of Gene Smith’s pastels, who passed away in September of last year. (There is a lovely "in memoriam" of him on the LAC website, along with photos of his artwork).

Being in the area on Friday, I stopped in the gallery to see the show.  Gene’s pastel work has always been much admired by everyone and I’d always considered purchasing a piece (as I have of the many wonderful pieces of art in the LAC gallery), but when I saw the prices at this current show, I knew I’d have to buy at least one piece!
 

A particular painting appealed to me, done in his characteristic chiaroscuro, with an old tarnished copper kettle and a wooden kitchen tool, and of course graced with his ubiquitous red apples. Gene must have loved painting apples!  Two other small pieces – one with apples, one with pears would complement the larger piece for a balanced grouping.  Ok, I’ll be back in the gallery in the morning and purchase them then, I decided.

Upon my return to the gallery Saturday morning, what should I find but two of my chosen works had already sold!  I should have known that would happen!  At least “Wooden Tool” was still available, so I quickly claimed that as my own.

After Gene’s passing in September, his wife Myrna agreed to host this wonderful exhibit of Gene’s work at the Lakewood Arts Council Gallery.  It was his wish to help the LAC with proceeds from sales of his artwork.  Many of his beautiful pastels have sold already, and the sale of his art and framing supplies starts Monday, January 7th.
Stop in the gallery and enjoy this retrospective exhibit, then wander upstairs for the LAC Members’ 25th Anniversary Exhibit, on display through February 8th, and watch for the upcoming blog on this show.

No comments:

Post a Comment