Monday, June 27, 2011

LAC Garden Tour 2011 by Ann Quinn

It was another successful year for the garden tour! If you’re like me, you always look forward to the opportunity to see what others have done with their yards, get new ideas about plants, and have fun talking with other like-minded garden lovers! This year was no different. I was to handle tickets at the Miller Street garden in the afternoon, so I started out right before 8:30 a.m. (when the air was delightfully chilly) to visit all the other locations! Several of the gardens were a distance apart from the others, but having done my homework, I had a planned route ready.


Karen Hoff welcoming the visitors to the Golden garden

Golden Garden

My first stop was the calm, serene garden in Golden. A large yard in the cool morning tempted me to sit a while with a cup of coffee under those tremendous trees –and how many big, beautiful clematis did they really have? Observations at additional gardens taught me a great deal about what I needed to try in my own yard. The “secret garden” tucked in a corner behind a large tree in the Marshall Street yard was a great idea. I definitely need one at my house to get away from the world occasionally! The sculptor’s garden on W. 35th was an inspiration with the many separate areas (water, curved tree grove, play area, workshop, and patio) creating a “fun to discover” garden on a large lot. The numerous pieces of large, modern sculpture created by garden owner Kevin Robb made this garden especially memorable.

Marshall Street Garden

Marshall Street Garden


Marshall Street Garden


Marshall Street Garden

Robb Garden

Robb Garden


Robb Garden


Robb Garden

The Miller Street garden where I spent the afternoon was relatively young at six years in the making, but already the basic structure of the layout had been determined to take advantage of sun and shade. Compost piles and an efficient work area were set up near the terraced vegetable garden, and the centerpiece was a small stream/pond, professionally designed by owner Dave Garton. Especially fun were the vegetable plants mixed in with the more traditional annuals and perennials (corn in the front yard!)

Miller Garden

Miller Garden

My rushed schedule meant that I was unable to have lunch at the gallery, but I know it was well-attended, with great food from all the cooking volunteers as well as conversation from the attendees! I look forward to next year’s event!

No comments:

Post a Comment